Chocolate Turtle Cookies12.26.14
Even though the holidays are over, it’s not too late to make a batch of these delicious chocolatey cookies. I made these for a church activity about a week ago and they were a huge hit! They are super simple and look gorgeous.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 additional egg white
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
- 25 soft caramels, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows
- optional: 1/2 tsp salt
Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
- 2 squares of Baker’s Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate Squares
- 1 tsp. shortening
Prepare the Cookies:
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; mix until incorporated. Add flour mixture until just combined.
3. Whisk egg whites (add about a 1 tsp sugar) in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, dip in egg whites, and then roll in pecans. Place balls about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350 degrees until set, about 11 minutes.
Prepare the Caramel Filling:
1. Microwave caramels, marshmallow, and cream together in a small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Once cookies are removed from the oven, gently press the an indentation with a 1/2 tsp. Fill each indentation with the caramel mixture. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Prepare the Chocolate Drizzle (optional):
1. Place chocolate and shortening in a small zip-top plastic bag. Microwave 15 seconds at a time until the mixture is melted.
2. Snip a very small hole in the corner of the plastic bag. Drizzle chocolate over the cooled Turtle Cookies.